Sunday, September 23, 2007

Temptation for the taste buds...

At my house, it's difficult to underestimate the need for something to "spice things up." My dad likes things with a kick - and I've seen my brother eat something so hot it makes him break out in a sweat (which, curiously enough, isn't a sign to stop eating the pepper juice). I even have my own rating system based on my dad's taste buds:

Dad says: "It's not hot at all..." = medium
Dad says: "It's got a little kick to it..." = hot
Dad says: "It's hot..." = I don't touch it with a 10-foot pole!

Here's a selection of items from the fridge:
See the plastic container in the front? There's a church member that makes some kind of salsa for potluck every week, with extra for Dad to take home. And I think it's really a game called "Try to Make the Gringo Cry." Because this stuff is potent, people. A few weeks ago, I was going through line at potlock and saw some tabouleh. Now, I love tabouleh. So I put a couple spoonfuls on my plate...and then realized that the little specks I THOUGHT were bulgur wheat were actually jalepeno seeds. Which means there were a LOT of seeds in that pico de gallo!

So if your taste buds ever need a workout, you know where to go. :)

No comments: